Sunday, June 24, 2018

YES Abroad PDO 2018

My first time visiting the Royal Thai Embassy
to the United States
From June 19th-23rd, 2018, I had the immense privilege of being the YES Abroad group leader for the 5 new students gearing up for their exchange to Thailand at their national Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)! Along with 12 other group leaders, the YES Abroad staff, and 65 students, we had an awesome week of study abroad prep, getting to know each other, sub-par 4H food, and visits to embassies and the State Department!

I have always wanted to participate in a PDO ever since I became an alum. Any event that I have been to involving my fellow alumni have seriously been highlights of my life. There is something about being exchange alumni that allow us to instantly bond and become close. It's also incredibly peculiar and amazing to connect with friends who you've known online for years. Meeting in person for the first time feels like it's the 100th time you've seen them.

Marina and I got to see my oldest favourite
friend, Queen Paula!
Joe and I, being goons
I won't go into mundane details about the everyday things we did, but I will say that the 5 days I spent in DC were tiring, enthralling, full of love, and truly inspiring. We all had a lot of fun and learned a lot. The best part was probably telling and hearing exchange stories from the alum. I am beyond excited for the new students and their adventures. If any of you are reading, I'm rooting for you, and you've got a friend in me. Welcome to the YES family!

Oh, the passport pouch that
unites us all!
One of the best days was on Friday, June 22nd. That was "D.C. Day" where we visited the Royal Thai Embassy, the State Department, and the Lincoln Memorial. It was like déjà vu from my own PDO back in 2014. After visiting the embassy, the Thai group as well as the great Allen Evans had lunch at Bangkok Joe's, an awesome Thai restaurant in the Georgetown area. Then we were onto the state department for a talk by Ambassador Jennifer Zimdahl Galt, and breakout sessions with cultural experts (which I highly enjoyed and learned a lot!). Afterwards, it was Lincoln Memorial time, which is always such a fun affair. I gave my Thai group the photoshoot of a lifetime! I know they were embarrassed and so happy. I absolutely loved it. I got pictures with the other alum, and some of my friends.

From red handbooks to blue handbooks
YES Abroad Thailand, 2018-2019!
Sofia, Chloe, Kenna, Sydney, and Luke!



Overall, my experience as a group leader at PDO felt like an amazing capstone to my "Post YES Abroad" years. It will forever be a highlight of my life. I already miss everyone so much! Let's not even discuss the airport goodbyes on Saturday. I always say this, but I am seriously in awe at what YES Abroad students and alumni do everyday. It's hard to keep track of the amazing things around the world that we are accomplishing. I gain constant motivation to do better and strive for my dreams because of you guys.

Stay adventurous. Keep going for the stars. Make this world a more accepting place.

With much love, and until next time,
Brandon


No comments:

Post a Comment