Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Yes Abroad Semi-Finalist!

Words cannot describe what the last few months of my life have entailed. I have discovered the new-found world of Foreign Exchange. I have been thrown by own free will into a world where one cannot escape. The past few months have been filled with many ups, and many downs as I applied for the NSLI-Y Scholarship, as well as the AFS YES Abroad Scholarship. I had known the chances of receiving a scholarship were slim going into this process, but I knew in my heart that this was an opportunity I couldn't forfeit. I first applied for the NSLI-Y Scholarship which was by far the most competitive contest I have ever entered. I felt intimidated by those who I thought were "better" and more qualified than myself. Consequently, my application was submitted in an unorganized, and non-directional manner. Needless to say, I was rejected. Although I was crushed, I knew it was with good reason. I truly believe I was rejected because I was destined for something bigger, something more beneficial. A Year Abroad. Not just any year abroad, but a year abroad that made a difference in my life and others. I discovered the YES Scholarship a month before it was due. This time around, I gave the application my all, and truly expressed who I was and what I stood for. After a long wait with some of the most awesome people I have ever met, I was notified that I AM A SEMI-FINALIST FOR THE 2013-2014 AFS YES ABROAD PROGRAM. My first happy tears streamed down my face that day, and my adventure began. I will be flying to Washington D.C on March 22nd for the IPSE (In-Person Selection Event) with 119 other hopeful Semi-Finalists. Sometimes this roller-coaster of emotions is too difficult to handle... but deep down, I know something great is coming.  I can't wait to meet all of you awesome YESers at the IPSE!
                                                                                             
 Until next time, Auf Wiedersehen!
 Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment